Thursday, January 19, 2012

2012 is shaping up

I really looked forward to 2012. 2011 was disappointing in so many ways. As the first days of 2012 unfolded I began to fear another bad year. How can this be? I thought. I've always been a glass half full kind of person so I decided I needed to take action, change my surroundings.

I decided to start with my sewing room since I spend a lot of time in there. It's a VERY small room, measuring about 10x11. The only redeeming factor is that it has 12' ceilings preventing it from becoming claustrophobic. Unfortunately it gets very messy as the last show of the season approaches. And it sits, until the holidays are over. Quite depressing as you can see from the following picture.


I never dreamed I'd see the day that my room would look like this. Messy, dark, gloomy, creativity killer. It was my call to action. Change this eyesore, organize it, lighten it up, get storage room, get rid of stuff!

Off to Home Depot to explore my options. I decided 8' long shelves on standards would be a great solution. I thought 4 would be perfect but I discovered 5 would fit. I designed a sewing table 8' wide that would allow all 4 of my machines to be available at all times. It has storage shelves below which are presently filled with unfinished projects.

Storage containers that allowed the contents to be visible were a must, but no plastic. I discovered chicken wire baskets at World Market in 3 sizes. A bit pricey but they were so perfect I ignored the price and bought them. A little decorating and this is the result. What a difference!


What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Received some emails saying "why do you need 4 sewing machines?". From left to right they are: Brother Embroidery Machine, Sewing Machine and Serger and a Janome Felter. Each is designed for different applications. I will confess that there is a backup sewing machine in the closet.

    ReplyDelete